Popular Posts

I'm a Tasty Kitchen Fan

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oatmeal Cake Recipe!


This is one of those recipes you don't want to miss out on! It is soo moist and decadent and is is always a hit. Making the day before is even better. After some research, I found that the ingredients or amounts seldom vary . Which tells me it is perfect just the way it is.When you combine perfect with simplicity, you can't lose. It has just the right amount of spice. With a wonderful coconut, pecan frosting you spread on while the cake is still hot. Placing it back in the oven to toast the coconut a bit! I love it! One of my C.S.A share holders said "Oatmeal cake was the requested cake by her father for his birthday every year". I figured it was worth looking in too. It has diffidently won a spot in my next cook book. Thank you, Tiffini Goesel!


Oatmeal Cake Recipe

1 1/4 cup boiling water, Add one cup quick oats, mix and let stand awhile, then add one cup of brown sugar. In a separate bowl. Cream together 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup of shortening (or butter) and 2 eggs. Sift 1 1/3 cup of flour,1 tsp. Baking powder,1/2 tsp. salt,1/2 tsp.cinamon,1tsp. of vanilla. Add all ingredients together, being careful not to over mix. This causes the cake to be tuff. Pour into a 9 by 13” greased and flowered, pan and bake for 40 min. Or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.If you decide to go with two 9" cake pans bake only 25 min. No need to broil the icing ,but do pour in on when cake is hot.

Topping for cake:
1 stick butter,1 cup brown sugar,1 cup coconut, 1 cup of nuts( I like pecan) , 5 oz. of evaporated milk( not sweetened condensed) 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Heat on top of the stove the above ingredients, until butter has melted. When cake is done pour topping over cake and place back in the oven until it bubbles around the edges.You can serve it warm with ice cream or cool. It is great the following day as well. Seems to get better with time. Great for times when you are entertaining. Traveles well for church events ,picnics, pot luck, every one will request this clasic.

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice recipe, very moist and easy to make. I have made this cake 4 times in the last two months (for various events) and everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I was raised in Hampton , Va. Had a very happy childhood, lots of good memories. I am married with 6 beautiful children and 4 grand kids. I own my home of 9 years and love living a life on a farm. Eveyrthing about it! I keep bees and really enjoy it.Our farm stand is supplied by 30 or more local farms. We are a small family run business, striving to protect local food cultures and promote sustainable local farming. I love canning and offer classes: jam making, pickles, relishes, jelly ...I love to cook and would say I am quite good at it. Never any complaints.I collect cookbooks and am writting my second one now. I love to blog and make soap and beauty products. Candle making is something I enjoy to do ,and is a way for me to use my bees wax.